Matthew H. Smith
Matthew Smith is a junior partner at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. He is experienced in handling every type of family law matter in Virginia, including separation, divorce, custody and support cases. Mr. Smith works in the firm’s Fairfax office, and represents clients in Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington and all across Northern Virginia.
An attorney since 2005, Mr. Smith has litigated every type of family law case in the courts of Northern Virginia, including high value equitable distribution cases, custody, support, and military divorce cases. He is the attorney in the firm most experienced in navigating the Fairfax County court system.
One of the firm’s most knowledgeable military divorce lawyers, Mr. Smith is intimately familiar with issues of military retirement, the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act, the Survivor Benefit Plan, disability pay, and the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.
Mr. Smith’s calm and focused style, commitment to client service, and extensive knowledge of family law combine to serve his clients extremely well. Mr. Smith’s satisfied clients have written many heartfelt reviews expressing their thanks for his work on their behalf (see Client Reviews below).
Mr. Smith holds the prestigious AV Preeminent rating (the highest possible rating) for ethical standards and legal ability from Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Smith has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for his work in Family Law every year since 2017. He has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star every year since 2015. Mr. Smith also holds a perfect 10.0 rating from both Avvo and Justia.
Matthew Smith resides with his wife and son in Tysons Corner.
- Virginia State Bar, 2005
- District of Columbia Bar, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2013
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016–Present
- Selected to the The Best Lawyers in America© for his work in Family Law, 2017–2021
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2015–2020
- BV Distinguished Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2014–2016
- Top 10 Under 40 Attorney Award, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2016–2017
- Top 40 Under 40 Family Lawyers in Virginia, American Society of Legal Advocates, 2015–2017
- How Do Courts Decide Custody Cases in Virginia?
- The Marital Home: The Sticky Wicket in Many Divorces
- Five Ways to Save Time and Money in Your Divorce (published on DivorceHQ)
- View all blog articles by Matthew Smith
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Junior Partner, 2016–Present
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2010–2016
- Condo Kelly & Byrnes, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2005–2010
- American University Washington College of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2002
Disclaimer: Contacting us via this form does not create an attorney-client relationship with Livesay & Myers, P.C. or any attorney at the firm.