Jonathan P. McHugh
Jonathan McHugh is a lead senior associate attorney at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. He is experienced in handling every type of family law matter in Virginia, including custody, support, separation and high asset divorce cases. Mr. McHugh works in the firm’s offices in Arlington and Leesburg, and represents clients all across Northern Virginia.
As one of the leading military divorce lawyers in the firm, Mr. McHugh is intimately familiar with issues of military retirement, the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act, the Survivor Benefit Plan, disability pay, and the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. Mr. McHugh is also experienced in the division of federal retirement benefits, including the FERS Basic Benefit Plan and TSP, and is the author of Federal Retirement Division in Virginia Divorce.
Mr. McHugh was born in Boston, Massachusetts and moved to Northern Virginia in 2005 after graduating cum laude from Wake Forest University a year earlier. He then worked for 3 ½ years as a consultant in the Washington, D.C. area. In that capacity Mr. McHugh served exclusively clients in the federal government, including the Department of Defense and the U.S. Army.
Mr. McHugh moved on from his consulting work to attend Catholic University Columbus School of Law. Upon graduating from law school in 2011, Mr. McHugh entered private practice as a family law attorney at a law firm in Vienna, Virginia. He then joined Livesay & Myers, P.C. as a family law associate in 2014.
Mr. McHugh’s calm and determined style, commitment to client service, and extensive knowledge of family law combine to serve his clients extremely well. Mr. McHugh’s satisfied clients have written many glowing and heartfelt reviews expressing their thanks for his work (see Client Reviews below).
Mr. McHugh was included in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for his work in Family Law. He has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star every year since 2017. Mr. McHugh currently holds a perfect 10.0 rating from both Avvo and Justia.
Jonathan McHugh resides with his wife and two daughters in Northern Virginia.
- Virginia State Bar, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2016
Honors and Awards
- Included in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for his work in Family Law
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2017–2020
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2017
- Top Contributor Award, Avvo, 2015
- Mediation of Virginia Family Law Cases During COVID-19
- What to Know Before Filing a Rule to Show Cause
- Federal Retirement Division in Virginia Divorce
- View all blog articles by Jonathan McHugh
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Lead Senior Associate Attorney, 2021–Present
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Senior Associate Attorney, 2018–2021
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2014–2018
- Fite, O’Brien & Anderson, LTD., Associate Attorney, 2012–2014
- The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, J.D., 2011
- Wake Forest University, B.A., cum laude, 2004
Disclaimer: Contacting us via this form does not create an attorney-client relationship with Livesay & Myers, P.C. or any attorney at the firm.