Jamel Rowe is a senior associate attorney at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. She is experienced in handling every type of family law matter in Virginia, including separation, divorce, custody, visitation, support and adoption cases. Ms. Rowe works in the firm’s Fairfax office, and represent clients in Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington and all across Northern Virginia.
Ms. Rowe earned her J.D. from William & Mary Law School in 2012, after earning her B.A. from the College of William & Mary in 2007.
After graduating from law school, Ms. Rowe received a one-year legal fellowship with the National Council For Adoption (NCFA), in Alexandria, Virginia. At NFCA, Ms. Rowe researched and prepared two amici briefs for the U.S. Supreme Court case of Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl, 570 U.S. 637 (2013). Collaborating with NFCA’s in-house counsel, Ms. Rowe specifically addressed the inconsistent application of the Indian Child Welfare Act towards Native American tribes; the conflict between tribal, parental, and children’s rights; and the subordination of children’s interests to the interests of the tribe. During her time at NFCA, Ms. Rowe also published multiple articles on adoption for national adoption magazines and for NCFA’s monthly publication.
After completing her fellowship, Ms. Rowe entered private practice as a family law attorney. From 2013–2019 she worked as a family law associate at two different law firms in Northern Virginia, before joining Livesay & Myers, P.C. as a senior associate in 2019.
During her time in practice, Ms. Rowe has litigated every type of family law case in the courts of Northern Virginia, including high value equitable distribution cases, custody, support, and military divorce cases.
Ms. Rowe was included in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for her work in Family Law. She was named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2020. Ms. Rowe currently holds a perfect 10.0 rating from both Avvo and Justia.
Jamel Rowe resides in Fairfax, Virginia.
- Virginia State Bar, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Included in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for her work in Family Law
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020
- Top Contributor Award, Avvo, 2019
- Virginia State Bar, Member, 2013–Present
- Fairfax Bar Association, Member, 2013–Present
- Virginia Women’s Attorney Association, Member, 2017–Present (Director of Social Media, 2018–Present)
- Northern Virginia Black Attorneys Association, 2012–Present
- How to Testify at Your Family Law Trial in Virginia
- The Impact of SSI Benefits on Child Support in Virginia
- The Impact of Social Media on Family Law, Virginia State Bar Family Law Quarterly (Spring 2020)
- 2013 Policy Priorities and Adoption-Related Legislation, Adoption Advocate No. 55 (January 2013)
- Russian Orphans, Victims of Retaliatory Politicking, Adoption Today (April 2013)
- Paths to Permanence: Kin Guardianship and Adoption, Adoption Advocate No. 59 (May 2013)
- Advocates Educate Congress on Lack of Normalcy for Children in Foster Care, National Council for Adoption Blog (May 2013)
- Preparation and Support for Older Child Adoptions: NCFA Survey and Conference Feedback, Adoption Advocate No. 76 (October 2014)
- Moderator, Fairfax Bar Association Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seminar, Private Investigators: How They Can Make or Break Your Case, June 2019
- Presenter, Child Support and Paternity in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, Fairfax Bar Association CLE Seminar, A Complete Guide to Child Custody Representation in Juvenile Court, January 2020
- Organizer and Moderator, Fairfax Bar Association, Family Law Section Brown Bag Seminar (Topic TBD), May 2020
- Organizer and Moderator, Fairfax Bar Association, Commercial Business Valuation CLE Seminar, January 2020
- Organizer and Moderator, Fairfax Bar Association, Divorce Business Valuation CLE Seminar, February 12, 2020
- Organizer and Moderator, Fairfax Bar Association, Adoption CLE Seminar, March 2020
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Senior Associate Attorney, 2019–Present
- Hottell Family Law Group, Associate Attorney, 2016–2019
- Masterman Krogmann, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2013–2016
- National Council For Adoption, Legal Fellow, 2012–2013
- William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2012
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 2007
Disclaimer: Contacting us via this form does not create an attorney-client relationship with Livesay & Myers, P.C. or any attorney at the firm.