Ms. Rowe earned her J.D. from William & Mary Law School in 2012, after earning her B.A. from the College of William & Mary in 2007.
After graduating from law school, Ms. Rowe received a one-year legal fellowship with the National Council For Adoption (NCFA), in Alexandria, Virginia. At NFCA, Ms. Rowe researched and prepared two amici briefs for the U.S. Supreme Court case of Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl, 570 U.S. 637 (2013). Collaborating with NFCA’s in-house counsel, Ms. Rowe specifically addressed the inconsistent application of the Indian Child Welfare Act towards Native American tribes; the conflict between tribal, parental, and children’s rights; and the subordination of children’s interests to the interests of the tribe. During her time at NFCA, Ms. Rowe also published multiple articles on adoption for national adoption magazines and for NCFA’s monthly publication.
After completing her fellowship, Ms. Rowe entered private practice as a family law attorney. From 2013–2019 she worked as a family law associate at two different law firms in Northern Virginia, before joining Livesay & Myers, P.C. as a senior associate in 2019.
During her time in practice, Ms. Rowe has litigated every type of family law case in the courts of Northern Virginia, including high value equitable distribution cases, custody, support, and military divorce cases.
Ms. Rowe currently holds a perfect 10.0 rating from Justia.
Jamel Rowe resides in Fairfax, Virginia.
- Virginia State Bar, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Top Contributor Award, Avvo, 2019
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Virginia State Bar, Member, 2013–Present
- Fairfax Bar Association, Member, 2013–Present
- Virginia Women’s Attorney Association, Member, 2017–Present (Director of Social Media, 2018–Present)
- Northern Virginia Black Attorney’s Association, 2012–Present
- The Impact of SSI Benefits on Child Support in Virginia
- 2013 Policy Priorities and Adoption-Related Legislation, Adoption Advocate No. 55 (January 2013)
- Russian Orphans, Victims of Retaliatory Politicking, Adoption Today (April 2013)
- Paths to Permanence: Kin Guardianship and Adoption, Adoption Advocate No. 59 (May 2013)
- Advocates Educate Congress on Lack of Normalcy for Children in Foster Care, National Council for Adoption Blog (May 2013)
- Preparation and Support for Older Child Adoptions: NCFA Survey and Conference Feedback, Adoption Advocate No. 76 (October 2014)
- Moderator for Fairfax Bar Association Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seminar, Private Investigators: How They Can Make or Break Your Case, 2019
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Senior Associate Attorney, 2019–Present
- Hottell Family Law Group, Associate Attorney, 2016–2019
- Masterman Krogmann, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2013–2016
- National Council For Adoption, Legal Fellow, 2012–2013
- William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2012
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 2007