Matthew H. Smith
Matthew Smith is a junior partner at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. He is experienced in handling every type of family law matter in Virginia, including separation, divorce, custody and support cases. Mr. Smith works in the firm’s Fairfax office, and represents clients in Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington and all across Northern Virginia.
An attorney since 2005, Mr. Smith has litigated every type of family law case in the courts of Northern Virginia, including high value equitable distribution cases, custody, support, and military divorce cases. He is the attorney in the firm most experienced in navigating the Fairfax County court system.
One of the firm’s most knowledgeable military divorce lawyers, Matthew Smith is intimately familiar with issues of military retirement, the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act, the Survivor Benefit Plan, disability pay, and the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.
In August 2016, Mr. Smith was selected by his peers for inclusion in the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America© for his work in Family Law. Best Lawyers is the oldest and most highly-respected peer review guide to the legal profession worldwide.
In 2016, Mr. Smith received the prestigious AV Preeminent rating (the highest possible rating) for ethical standards and legal ability from Martindale-Hubbell. He also holds a perfect 10.0 rating from Avvo.
Matthew Smith resides with his wife and son in Tysons Corner, and works out of the firm’s office in Fairfax.
- Virginia State Bar, 2005
- District of Columbia Bar, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2013
Honors and Awards:
- Selected to the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America© for his work in Family Law, August 2016
- Virginia Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2015–2017
- Washington D.C. Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2015–2017
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016–Present
- BV Distinguished Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2014–2016
- Top 10 Under 40 Attorney Award, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2016–2017
- Top 40 Under 40 Family Lawyers in Virginia, American Society of Legal Advocates, 2015–2017
- How Do Courts Decide Custody Cases in Virginia?
- The Marital Home: The Sticky Wicket in Many Divorces
- Five Ways to Save Time and Money in Your Divorce (published on DivorceHQ)
- View all blog articles by Matthew Smith
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- American Bar Association, 2006–Present
- Arlington County Bar Association, 2005–Present
- Fairfax Bar Association, 2005–Present
- American Society of Legal Advocates, 2014–Present
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Junior Partner, 2016–Present
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2010–2016
- Condo Kelly & Byrnes, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2005–2010
Law School: American University – Washington College of Law, J.D., 2005
Honors and Activities: Women and the Law Clinical Program; Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity; Students United Juvenile Justice Tutor Program.
College: University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2002
Born: Washington, D.C.