James D. Livesay
James Livesay is a founding partner at Livesay & Myers, P.C. He leads the firm’s team of family law attorneys across offices in Fairfax, Arlington, Ashburn, Manassas and Fredericksburg-Stafford, Virginia.
After graduating from Virginia Tech in 1995 and the University of Virginia School of Law in 1998, Mr. Livesay served three years in the U.S. Navy JAG Corps. He entered civilian practice as a family law attorney in 2001, and joined with partner Kevin Myers to found Livesay & Myers, P.C. in 2003.
Drawing on his experience as a Navy JAG officer, Mr. Livesay established the military divorce section of the firm in 2003 and has guided it since that time. His article, “Treatment of Disability Pay in Military Divorce,” has been published on a number of online divorce websites, including Divorce Headquarters and WomansDivorce.com.
Mr. Livesay was named a Super Lawyer in 2014–2020. He was also named to Northern Virginia Magazine’s Top Lawyers listing for 2018. Mr. Livesay currently holds a perfect 10.0 rating from both Avvo and Justia.
Mr. Livesay resides in Northern Virginia with his wife and three children.
- Virginia State Bar, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2003
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
Honors and Awards
- Top Lawyers, Northern Virginia Magazine, 2018
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2014–2020
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2013
- Client Distinction Award, Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (Gold Star in Lieu of Second Award), 2001
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, 2000
- Award for Trial Advocacy, The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Military Affairs and Justice, 1998
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Partner, 2003–Present
- Osborne|Craig, P.L.C., Manassas, Virginia, Associate Attorney, 2001–2003
- Commander, Naval Surface Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, Norfolk, Virginia, Assistant Force Judge Advocate, 2000–2001
- Navy Legal Service Office Mid-Atlantic, Norfolk, Virginia, Defense Counsel, 1999–2000
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1998 (Member, Editorial Board of the Virginia Journal of Law and Politics)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), B.A., 1995 (Recipient, Virginia Tech Joseph Bernd Award, Best Paper in Political Science, 1995)
- Military Officers Association of America, 2003–Present
- University of Virginia Alumni Association, 2003–Present
- Virginia State Bar (Family Law Section), 1998–Present
- Virginia Tech Alumni Association, 1995–Present
"*" indicates required fields