Nicole M. O’Neal
Nicole O’Neal is an attorney at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. Her practice covers every type of family law matter in Virginia, including separation, divorce, custody, visitation and support cases.
Originally from Rhode Island, Ms. O’Neal enlisted in the United States Navy in 2008 and served on active duty until 2015. Stationed in both Gulfport, Mississippi and Hampton Roads, Virginia, she completed two combat tours to Afghanistan, as well as an additional deployment to Japan focusing solely on humanitarian relief after the tsunami in 2011.
Ms. O’Neal became interested in family law when she was promoted to a non-commissioned officer and her junior troops began approaching Ms. O’Neal with their family problems such as divorce, child custody and visitation, and the division of marital property (including military retired pay) upon divorce. Ms. O’Neal familiarized herself with Virginia family law, as well as the federal laws governing military divorce cases. She found the material challenging yet rewarding—and the experience inspired Ms. O’Neal to pursue a career as a family law attorney.
Ms. O’Neal left the U.S. Navy in 2015 to begin her studies at the University of Richmond School of Law. She earned her J.D. degree from the school in May 2018, graduating with the Family Law Certificate “with Distinction.”
While in law school, Ms. O’Neal used several internships to expand upon her knowledge of Virginia family law and build the skills necessary to be a top family law attorney. In her first summer in law school, Ms. O’Neal returned to Rhode Island to serve as an intern with the Rhode Island Supreme Court. In that position she honed her legal research and writing skills, drafting decisions and bench memorandums to the justices while working closely with the other law clerks and their supervising attorney. Ms. O’Neal spent her second summer in law school working as a legal intern at a family-owned company in Cranston, Rhode Island.
In her second and third years of law school, Ms. O’Neal worked as a project associate with McGuireWoods LLP in Richmond, assisting attorneys with pro bono no fault divorce cases. Ms. O’Neal also participated in the family law clinic at the University of Richmond School of Law throughout each of her last three semesters at the school.
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2019–Present
- McGuireWoods, Richmond, Virginia, Project Associate, 2016–2018
- Alex and Ani, Cranston, Rhode Island, Legal Intern, 2017
- Boleman Law Firm, Richmond, Virginia, Legal Intern, 2016
- Rhode Island Supreme Court, Providence, Rhode Island, Law Clerk Intern, 2016
- United States Navy, Weapons Maintenance Supervisor (2010–2015), Weapons Maintenance Technician (2008–2010)
Honors and Awards
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (Gold Star in Lieu of Third Award), 2015
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (Gold Star in Lieu of Second Award), 2013
- Army Commendation Medal, 2013
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, 2010
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 2018, graduated with the Family Law Certificate “with Distinction.” Honors and Activities: Carrico Center Pro Bono Certificate; Richmond Journal of Global Law and Business; Moot Court; Veterans and Military Law Association.
- Old Dominion University, B.S. in Criminal Justice and Sociology (double major), cum laude, 2015 (completed all undergraduate coursework while on active duty).