Nicole M. O’Neal
Nicole O’Neal is an attorney at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. Her practice covers every type of family law matter in Virginia, including separation, divorce, custody, visitation and support cases.
Originally from Rhode Island, Ms. O’Neal enlisted in the United States Navy in 2008 and served on active duty until 2015. Stationed in both Gulfport, Mississippi and Hampton Roads, Virginia, she completed two combat tours to Afghanistan, as well as an additional deployment to Japan focusing solely on humanitarian relief after the tsunami in 2011.
Ms. O’Neal became interested in family law when she was promoted to a non-commissioned officer and her junior troops began approaching Ms. O’Neal with their family problems such as divorce, child custody and visitation, and the division of marital property (including military retired pay) upon divorce. Ms. O’Neal familiarized herself with Virginia family law, as well as the federal laws governing military divorce cases. She found the material challenging yet rewarding—and the experience inspired Ms. O’Neal to pursue a career as a family law attorney.
Ms. O’Neal graduated cum laude from Old Dominion University in 2015 (after completing all undergraduate coursework while on active duty). She then left the U.S. Navy to begin her studies at the University of Richmond School of Law. Ms. O’Neal earned her J.D. degree in May 2018, graduating with the Family Law Certificate “with Distinction.” She joined Livesay & Myers as an associate attorney in 2019.
Ms. O’Neal works in the Manassas office of Livesay & Myers, P.C., and represents clients in Manassas, Prince William County and all across Northern Virginia.
- Virginia, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Top Contributor Award, Avvo, 2019
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (Gold Star in Lieu of Third Award), 2015
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (Gold Star in Lieu of Second Award), 2013
- Army Commendation Medal, 2013
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, 2010
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Virginia State Bar (Family Law Section), Member, 2019–Present
- Virginia Bar Association (Family Law Section), Member, 2019–Present
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Member, 2019–Present
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (Family Law Section), Member, 2019–Present
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2019–Present
- McGuireWoods, Richmond, Virginia, Project Associate, 2016–2018
- Alex and Ani, Cranston, Rhode Island, Legal Intern, 2017
- Boleman Law Firm, Richmond, Virginia, Legal Intern, 2016
- Rhode Island Supreme Court, Providence, Rhode Island, Law Clerk Intern, 2016
- United States Navy, Weapons Maintenance Supervisor (2010–2015), Weapons Maintenance Technician (2008–2010)
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 2018, graduated with the Family Law Certificate “with Distinction.” Honors and Activities: Carrico Center Pro Bono Certificate; Richmond Journal of Global Law and Business; Moot Court; Veterans and Military Law Association.
- Old Dominion University, B.S. in Criminal Justice and Sociology (double major), cum laude, 2015 (completed all undergraduate coursework while on active duty).