Emily Neuhausen is an associate attorney at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. She is experienced in handling every type of family law matter in Virginia, including separation, divorce, custody, visitation, support and adoption cases. Ms. Neuhausen works in the firm’s Fairfax office, and represents clients in Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington and all across Northern Virginia.
In addition to her general family law practice, Ms. Neuhausen is an experienced adoption lawyer. She has handled cases assisting clients with domestic, stepparent, second parent, and foster parent adoptions. Ms. Neuhausen also represents clients in negotiating surrogacy, sperm donor, and egg donor contracts, including for many LGBT clients.
An attorney since 2012, Ms. Neuhausen has practiced exclusively family law her entire career. From 2012–2020, she worked as a family law associate at two different law firms in Maryland, before joining Livesay & Myers, P.C. as an associate attorney in 2020.
Ms. Neuhausen is a Fairfax County native. She was born in Alexandria and grew up in Clifton, Virginia. Ms. Neuhausen attended college out of state on an academic scholarship at the University of South Carolina. After graduating in three years from that school magna cum laude, Ms. Neuhausen returned to the D.C. area and earned her law degree at American University Washington College of Law.
Ms. Neuhausen was included in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for her work in Family Law. She was also named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2022. Ms. Neuhausen currently holds a perfect 10.0 rating from both Avvo and Justia.
See what clients are saying about Emily Neuhausen
"Emily Neuhausen assisted me in a complex custody litigation matter. Her work was not just accurate and high quality, but strategic and thoughtful. She assisted in not just legal areas but in family counseling and child development; an area which most attorneys overlook. I truly felt like Ms. Neuhausen cared about the outcome for my child and family making a painful process more tolerable. She has the aptitude of seasoned skill and experience with the perspective of a new parent. Would highly recommend." - Aaronview client reviews
- Virginia, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2020
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2022
Honors and Awards
- Included in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for her work in Family Law
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2022
- Top Contributor Award, Avvo, 2020
- Top 10 Family Law Attorneys Under 40 in Virginia, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2020
- Virginia State Bar, Member, 2013–Present
- Virginia Bar Association, Member, 2013–Present
- Fairfax Bar Association, Member, 2020–Present
- Start-Up or Merger? The Role of Premarital Agreements
- Oops! Are You Accidentally Married?, Washington Blade, April 1, 2016
- Taming the Discovery Beast, Maryland Family Law Practice for Paralegals, November 14, 2019
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2020–Present
- Shulman, Rogers, Gandal, Pordy & Ecker, P.A., Associate Attorney, 2016–2020
- Zavos Juncker Law Group, PLLC, Associate Attorney, 2012–2016
- American University Washington College of Law, J.D., 2012. Honors and Activities: Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition Team, Mid-Atlantic Super Regional Winner, International Rounds Octa-Finalist; Domenick L. Gabrielli National Family Law Moot Court Competition Team, Octa-Finalist; Moot Court Honor Society Executive Board, Team Director.
- University of South Carolina, B.A., magna cum laude, 2008.