Benjamin H. Carafiol
Ben Carafiol is a senior associate attorney at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. He is experienced in handling every type of family law matter in Virginia, including separation, divorce, custody and support cases. Mr. Carafiol works in the firm’s Fredericksburg office, and represents clients in Stafford, Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg and surrounding areas.
As one of the leading military divorce lawyers in the firm, Mr. Carafiol is intimately familiar with issues of military retirement, the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act, the Survivor Benefit Plan, disability pay, and the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. He has written extensively on these topics for our Blog.
Mr. Carafiol was named a Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star in 2016–2019.
Ben Carafiol resides with his wife and two daughters in Spotsylvania, Virginia. He works out of the firm’s office in Fredericksburg.
- Virginia State Bar, 2008
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2010
Honors and Awards:
- Virginia Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2016–2019
- Top 10 Family Law Attorneys Under 40 In Virginia, National Academy Of Family Law Attorneys, 2016
- Waiting For the Market to Turn Around: The Dangers of Joint Ownership After Divorce
- When Are Support Payments Tax Deductible?
- The 10-Year Rule in Military Divorce Cases
- View all blog articles by Ben Carafiol
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Northern Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2009–Present
- The Law Offices of Robert Weed, Associate Attorney, 2009
On October 29, 2013, Mr. Carafiol taught a class on Virginia family law as part of the Introduction to Law and Legal Writing course at Mary Washington University in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Law School: Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 2008
Honors and Activities: Wake Forest Law Review
College: College of William & Mary, B.A., 2004
Honors and Activities: Graduated cum laude; received the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship, Second Congressional District, Missouri; Monroe Scholar, The College of William and Mary; Pi Sigma Alpha, The National Political Science Honor Society; Golden Key International Honour Society