Abby McNelis is an associate attorney at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively family law. Her practice covers every type of family law matter in Virginia, including separation, divorce, custody, visitation and support cases. Ms. McNelis works in the firm’s Fairfax office, and represents clients in Fairfax County and all across Northern Virginia.
Originally from Richmond, Virginia, Ms. McNelis graduated from The Pennsylvania State University before graduating from George Mason University School of Law. As a law student, Ms. McNelis won the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Trial Advocacy Award.
After graduating from law school in 2018, Ms. McNelis completed a one-year judicial clerkship with the Fairfax County Circuit Court. Family law cases made up a majority of the court’s docket, and through her clerkship Ms. McNelis gained valuable insight into the judicial decision-making process in Fairfax County. Ms. McNelis then joined Livesay & Myers, P.C. in September 2019, to practice exclusively family law.
Ms. McNelis currently holds a perfect 10.0 rating from Justia.
Abby McNelis resides in Northern Virginia.
- Virginia State Bar, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Trial Advocacy Award, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2018
- Top Contributor Award, Avvo, 2019
- Virginia State Bar, Member, 2018–Present
- Fairfax Bar Association, Member, 2019–Present
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Member, 2019–Present
- Adultery and the Fifth Amendment in Virginia Divorce Cases
- Habitually Offending the Constitution: The Cruel and Unusual Consequences of Habitual Offender Laws and Mandatory Minimums, George Mason University Civil Rights Law Journal (Fall 2017)
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2019–Present
- The Honorable Michael F. Devine, Fairfax County Circuit Court, Judicial Law Clerk, 2018–2019
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 2018. Honors and Activities: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association 2018 Trial Advocacy Award; George Mason University Civil Rights Law Journal, Senior Notes Editor; Trial Advocacy Association, President; Moot Court Board, Member.
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.S., 2015. Activities: Student Philanthropy Association; Women’s Leadership Initiative.