Tag:name change

How To Change Your Child’s Last Name In Virginia

Posted on April 23rd, 2013, by Danielle Snead in Family Law. Comments Off on How To Change Your Child’s Last Name In Virginia

A common question many parents ask during initial consultations with family lawyers is, “How can I change my child’s last name?” A parent may want to change a child’s last name in cases of divorce, re-marriage, or in situations of a non-involved parent. When looking to change a child’s last name, a parent must go through the Circuit Court of the county or city in which the child resides. A parent or guardian of the child can apply for the name change by submitting an Application for Change of Name of Minor to the Circuit Court. This form must be signed under oath in front of a notary.

If both parents are in agreement, then both would sign the application by filling out the joint application portion. One parent would then file the signed and notarized application, along with a copy … Read More »

Our Locations
Fairfax Office
3975 University Drive #325
Fairfax, VA 22030
Manassas Office
9408 Grant Avenue #402
Manassas, VA 20110
Leesburg Office
602 S King St #300
Leesburg, VA 20175
Fredericksburg Office
303 Charlotte Street
Fredericksburg, VA 22401