Immigrants Should Beware Of False Promises
With Congress seemingly moving closer to passing comprehensive immigration reform, NPR recently ran a story on the lack of qualified immigration attorneys available to help the millions of immigrants who will need legal assistance under the new plan. In a previous post, I detailed some simple steps immigrants can take to prepare for immigration reform. In this post, I’ll talk more specifically about the need of immigrants for qualified and trustworthy legal counsel in applying for relief under the new legislation.
The NPR article highlights the problems many immigrants encounter in dealing with attorneys or non-attorneys who make grand promises with little to back them up. Hoping to make large profits, these individuals prey on the immigrant population. In the coming months, the possibility for fraud is higher than ever. Be wary of individuals who urge immigrants to hire them before reform even passes. Be wary of those who guarantee approvals. Finally, be wary of those who promise a temporary benefit like a work permit. While it is very helpful for someone who has never had permission to work in the U.S., the work permit is usually tied to a more permanent benefit. If the applicant is not eligible for the permanent benefit in the first place, a denial can lead to deportation proceedings.
The immigration attorneys and staff at Livesay & Myers, P.C. focus 100% on immigration matters. The firm boasts a number of lawyers who practice in other legal areas, including criminal defense and family law. This allows the immigration team to collaborate with other attorneys on matters that directly affect our clients’ immigration status.
With our firm, you can rest assured of the following:
- We won’t abandon you. Livesay & Myers, P.C. opened its doors in 2003. Today, the firm has permanent offices in Fairfax, Manassas, and Fredericksburg, Virginia. You don’t need to worry that we’ll be here today, gone tomorrow!
- We understand that communication is important. We return all phone calls and respond to e-mails promptly. It is easy to make an appointment with our attorneys and staff.
- We stress quality over quantity. Attorneys and staff are knowledgeable about what’s going on in your particular case. Case strategy is based on the best outcome for you and your specific situation.
- When it comes to fees, with our firm you don’t have to worry about being hoodwinked. We will never take your hard-earned money and do nothing in return. We will keep a detailed record of all work done on your case.
- Finally, we are not going to make promises that we cannot keep. At the time of your consultation with one of our licensed immigration attorneys, we will provide a realistic assessment of your case.
If you are one of the millions of undocumented immigrants presently living in the United States, I know that you will be watching developments in Washington very closely. We are all very eager to see what shape comprehensive immigration reform will take. While you wait, please read my article, Are You Ready For Immigration Reform? for some practical tips on how you can best prepare for any new legislation that Congress enacts. And, when the time is right and you need assistance, contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss your options.