Jennifer S. Varughese
Jennifer Varughese is a junior partner at Livesay & Myers, P.C., practicing exclusively immigration law. A first-generation Indian-American, she has personal knowledge of the immigrant experience. Ms. Varughese has represented clients from over 115 countries and in every type of immigration law matter, including complicated cases related to citizenship, deportation, family-based and employment-based green cards, waivers and nonimmigrant visas. She has been noted for her work in the field of the immigration consequences of criminal convictions, receiving recognition in both the legal community and in the press.
Ms. Varughese has experience arguing before both federal and state courts, resulting in three published opinions: Hussain v. Gonzales, 477 F.3d 153 (4th Cir. 2007); Markovski v. Gonzales, 486 F.3d 108 (4th Cir. 2007); and Commonwealth v. Morris, 281 Va. 70 (Va. 2011).
A zealous advocate who is also deeply committed to her community, Ms. Varughese was named the Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year (2010) in Fairfax County, Virginia by the Fairfax Bar Association. She is also a Fairfax County Elections Officer.
Ms. Varughese was named a Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star and Washington D.C. Rising Star in 2015–2017. She received the Client Distinction Award from Martindale-Hubbell in 2015, and currently holds a perfect 10.0 rating from Avvo.
- Virginia State Bar, 2006
- District of Columbia Bar, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2011
Honors and Awards:
- Virginia Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2015–2017
- Washington D.C. Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2015–2017
- Client Distinction Award, Martindale-Hubbell, 2015
- Top Contributor Award, Avvo, 2013–2016
- Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year, Fairfax Bar Association, 2010
- President Obama Announces New Immigration Plan
- Post-Conviction Relief And Immigration Consequences
- New Procedure Allows Earlier Filing for Adjustment of Status
- View all blog articles by Jennifer Varughese
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Fairfax Bar Association (Family Law Assistance Program and Neighborhood Outreach Program)
- Capitol Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Associate Attorney, 2008–Present
- Law Offices of J.W. Nesari, L.L.C., Herndon, Virginia, Associate Attorney, 2005–2008
- On December 13, 2016, Ms. Varughese will again teach the immigration portion of the “Neighborhood Outreach Training for Volunteer Lawyers” Continuing Legal Education seminar, sponsored by The Northern Virginia Pro Bono Law Center. She previously taught this course on December 6, 2012.
- On October 4, 2016, Ms. Varughese gave a lecture on immigration law to the Probation Officers of the Fairfax County Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court.
- On July 25, 2016, Ms. Varughese spoke on the topic of immigration law at the Lunch N Learn Series Continuing Legal Education seminar hosted by the Fredericksburg Bar Association.
- On July 8, 2011, Ms. Varughese spoke at a Virginia Continuing Legal Education seminar hosted by George Mason School of Law, entitled “Immigration Consequences of Criminal Convictions.” She discussed her case, Commonwealth v. Morris, 281 Va. 70 (Va. 2011), and how it relates to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Padilla v. Kentucky.
Law School: Regent University School of Law, J.D., 2005
Honors and Activities: First place in the school-wide Trial Advocacy Competition; Quarterfinalist in the 1L Moot Court Competition; Merit Scholarship Recipient.
College: Vanderbilt University, B.A., cum laude, 2001
Honors and Activities: First place in the Santa Rosa Junior College Novice Debate Competition; Finalist in the Frank K. Houston Public Speaking Competition; Quarterfinalist in the Middle Tennessee State University Debate Competition; Dean’s List. 2000 Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS) Summer Intern: placed at the U.S. Marshals Service, Office of Equal Employment Opportunity.
Born: Bloomington, Illinois