Attorney James Livesay is the lead Family Law attorney at Livesay & Myers, P.C. His is also a frequent contributor to the Livesay & Myers, P.C. Blog, where he has written on various topics, including family law, divorce, immigration law and criminal defense.
After graduating from the prestigious University of Virginia School of Law in 1998, Mr. Livesay served in the U.S. Navy JAG Corps from 1998-2001, where he received the Award for Trial Advocacy from The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Military Affairs and Justice, in 1998. He went on to receive Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals in 2000 and 2001 (Gold Star in Lieu of Second Award).
Along with partner Kevin Myers, Mr. Livesay formed Livesay & Myers, P.C. in 2003, when the firm opened its first office in Woodbridge, Virginia. The firm has grown steadily since, and now encompasses a team of lawyers and paralegals across offices in Fredericksburg, Fairfax and Manassas, Virginia.
Drawing on his experience as a Navy JAG officer, James Livesay established the Military Divorce section of the firm in 2003 and has guided it since that time. His article, “Treatment of Disability Pay in Military Divorce,” has been published on a number of online divorce websites, including Divorce Headquarters, DivorceNet, and WomansDivorce.com.
In 2006, Mr. Livesay received the prestigious BV® Peer Review Rating* from Martindale-Hubbell. The BV rating is the maximum rating a lawyer can receive who has been admitted to the bar from 5-9 years. [*CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.]
James Livesay resides in Fredericksburg with his wife and three children. You can follow him on Google+ for the latest information on family law, divorce, criminal defense and immigration law.
- Virginia State Bar, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2003
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
- Livesay & Myers, P.C., Partner, 2003 – Present
- Osborne|Craig, P.L.C., Manassas, Virginia, Associate Attorney, 2001 – 2003
- Commander, Naval Surface Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, Norfolk, Virginia, Assistant Force Judge Advocate, 2000 – 2001
- Navy Legal Service Office Mid-Atlantic, Norfolk, Virginia, Defense Counsel, 1999 – 2000
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1998 (Member, Editorial Board of the Virginia Journal of Law and Politics)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, B.A., 1995 (Recipient, Virginia Tech Joseph Bernd Award, Best Paper in Political Science, 1995)
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- Military Officers Association of America, 2003 – Present
- Fredericksburg Area Bar Association, 2004 – Present
- University of Virginia Alumni Association, 2003 – Present
- Virginia State Bar (Family Law Section), 1998 – Present
Born: Oak Ridge, Tennessee